Japan is an amazing country with a strong and unique culture. I recently spent 16 days backpacking in the land of the rising sun (as Japan is often referred to) and I would like to share with you a summary of my trip as well as some Japan travel tips that I learnt on my journey.
- Tokyo (6 days)
- Kamakura (day-trip from Tokyo by train – 1,780 Yen)
- Kyoto (6 days)
- Nara (day-trip from Kyoto by train – approx. 1,100 Yen return)
- Kobe (day-trip from Kyoto by train – approx 1,800 Yen return)
- Osaka (day-trip from Kyoto by train – 1,080 Yen return)
- Hiroshima (2 days)
- Miyajima (day-trip from Hiroshima by ferry – 340 Yen return)
What I learnt from my trip to Japan:
- Japan has many stunning temples and buildings that survived WW2 unscathed
- Food and drinks in Japan are very cheap and healthy, if you are happy buy food from 7-Eleven, SunKus, Heart-In etc.
- Transport is very expensive. A JRail Pass would have been a smarter choice than the Willer Express Bus Pass that I ended up choosing. Plan your route well in advance of arriving in Japan so that you minimise the amount of transport that you need to use.